Re: [Xen-users] Show DomU login dialog instead of Dom0's

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Show DomU login dialog instead of Dom0's
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:17:45 +0100
Cc: Markus Mehrwald <mehrwald@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:15:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> is it possible to login into a DomU (Windows) without beeing logged in
> in the Dom0 on the same PC where Xen runs? So I want to have something
> like the Windows login screen on e. g. tty2 so I do not need to login
> twice (first in Dom0 and the second one in the DomU).

You'd want to auto-start the Windows domU at boot time.  You can do that by
enabling the xendomains init script, and symlinking the config file for the
Windows domU into /etc/xen/auto, I believe.  I'm not sure what is done for
Xend managed domains, though.

Then you'd want to alter the init scripts of dom0 to start a fullscreen X
server running a VNC viewer (or direct framebuffer viewer) attached to the
guest.

e.g. you could put something in /etc/rc.local like:

#!/bin/sh

X :1 &
vncviewer -display :1 -fullscreen localhost:<vncdisplay>

So that you'll start up a second X server and get a VNC viewer running on it
attached to the domain.  You might need to mess around with the options a bit
because I made them up ;-)

Once you've done that you'll be able to switch between the ordinary TTYs,
dom0's login screen (usually on X display :0, ctrl+alt+f7) and the domU's
login screen via VNC.

How does that sound?

Once you've got that working you can always try more complicated setups.  e.g.
run a compositing manager like compiz and arrange to have a login screen for
each domU be on a different side of the cube.  You could even have a login
screen for dom0 be on one side of the cube if you set it up right :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!