Re: [Xen-users] Kernel question

> I installed Xen with the standard xen kernel (compiled with "make
> world") but now I wish to compile two kernels (dom0 and domU) because
> I wish a more performance and fast system.

To be honest I'd be quite surprised if compiling separate kernels provided a
measurable performance difference.  Enabling / disabling SMP support
according to whether you had multiprocessor hardware might make a small
difference, but there are patches in the tree to minimise that too.

> What features must I insert and compile (* or M) in the dom0 and domU
> kernel configuration?

If you do:

KERNELS="linux-2.6-xenU linux-2.6-xen0" make kernels

It will build the kernels for you using a sensible default xenU and xen0
config.  You'd need to customise the configs of the kernels a bit to make
sure the xen0 one had support for your hardware, and that the xenU one
supported the features you were interested in.

I'd say that if you really want to build separate kernels, try building a xenU
kernel, which can potentially be a bit smaller than the -xen kernel.  I don't
think there's much benefit to building a dedicated dom0 kernel, unless you
have some specific goal in mind.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.