[Xen-users] Re: Crashing dom0 by unloading mISDN

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Crashing dom0 by unloading mISDN
From: Arik Raffael Funke <arik@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:57:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:55:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I suppose only the "irq=poll" kernel argument is the one that matters, right? I tried it, both in my dom0 and domU, but when I unload my misdn drivers in the domU everything still locks up.

You have the irq=poll apparently for the dom0. Where are you loading the mISDN drivers, also in dom0. If I load/unload the drivers in dom0, I have no problem what-so-ever. Only if I unload the drivers in a domU, the whole system freezes.

Cheers,
Arik

Stephan Seitz wrote:
Hi,

i recently had the same issues with ISDN pci devices.
running Xen 3.1 with Ubuntu Feisty as Dom0 and Ubuntu Dapper as domU

My current setup now works without problems after I changed the boot
entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst to

title           Xen 3.1-i386-pae / Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-100-server
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /xen-3.1-i386-pae.gz
module          /vmlinuz-2.6.20-100-server
root=UUID=09503299-c560-45de-b69d-8d98eadc7b23 ro console=tty0 irq=poll
pciback.hide=(03:01.0)
module          /initrd.img-2.6.20-100-server
quiet
savedefault

without the irq=poll option, the system showed unpredictable failures
after unloading the ISDN driver and/or shutting down the domU.

this particular domU runs kernel 2.6.19-4-server (ubuntu repo)

Arik Raffael Funke schrieb:
Hi,

I have a Fedora 7 xen system with a domU to which I have delegated via
pciback two isdn pci cards. One is a HFC-S card, the other a AVM
Fritz!Card Pci 2.0.

In the domU I load mISDN drivers for the cards. The two cards are
recognized and function well UNTIL I either decide to unload one or both
of the card driver modules (hfcpci and avmfritz) or I decide to shut
down the domU. At this point the WHOLE system locks up: the mouse in
Gnome reacts as if in slow-motion, typing in a already open terminal
window does still work if characters are entered deliberately slowly one
by one. However, commands are no longer executed.

Occasionally, not always however, a message is output along the lines of:

irq 22: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)