[Xen-users] Upgrading fedora domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Upgrading fedora domUs
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:04:59 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:02:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, all.  I know the real answer is to throw out the old systems :)
but we have some old systems still running on Xen 2.0.7 with Fedora Core
3.  We have a need to upgrade some of these.  Xen was installed from
source as we did need to customize the kernel.

How does one do this? In fact, how does one upgrade domUs in general?

In our test lab, I attempted to upgrade an FC3 domU to FC4 via yum.  The
upgrade eventually succeeded but the domU now crashes on boot with these
nasty messages:

set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 323:    67 Done                    echo
"raidautorun /dev/md0"
        68 Segmentation fault      | nash --quiet
set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 340:    71 Done                    echo
"mkdmnod"
        72 Segmentation fault      | /sbin/nash --quiet >/dev/null 2>&1
set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 340:    73 Segmentation
fault      /sbin/lvm.static vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure
>/dev/null 2>&1
Checking filesystems
Checking all file systems.
[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sda1
set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/sda1 exited with signal 11.
[FAILED]

I'm also guessing that I'll have problems with udev once I move to FC5.

Any pointers to howto's, wikis, papers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net