[Xen-users] XEN, VLANs and network problems

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] XEN, VLANs and network problems
From: Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:11:28 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:09:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

I’m trying to expand a XEN environment. The hardware has two NICs joined together by the bonding driver. All traffic between the switch and the bond0 interface has VLAN tags.

At the beginning I had only DomUs in two VLANs which I configured in the following way:
- I created dummy vlan interfaces without IP address;
- I created bridges with one connection to the dummy vlan interfaces;
- the VIFs of the DomUs where configured to attach to the given bridge:

With this the DomUs will only see the untagged traffic of their networks.

Debian-Example:
/etc/network/interfaces:
[snip]
auto vlan10
iface vlan10 inet manual
        vlan-raw-device bond0
auto xenbr10
iface xenbr10 inet manual
        bridge_ports vlan10
        bridge_maxwait 0
[snip]

Everything worked as planned, but now I have a DomU needing more than three NICs (and I will need another DomU needing 9). I realized that XEN supports only three virtual NICs.

What to do now?
I tried to create a new bridge directly attached to bond0:
auto xenbrefw0
iface xenbrefw0 inet manual
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_maxwait 0

and using VLANs within the DomU. But this worked not at all. Trying to ping a host outside the XEN environment but in the same network from this DomU I can see ARP requests going to the target host (sniffing at bond0). The target host is receiving the ARP requests and answered them, but I can’t see the ARP replies at the bond0 interface, so the DomU doesn’t see any answers as well.

The question is why? How can I configure this situation correctly?

Another problem is that the new DomU directly attached to bond0 would see more networks as it should. How can I restrict this? Could I use ebtables to filter allowed VLANs between bond0 and the xenbrefw0?

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--