Re: [Xen-users] BSD domU with HVM

To: dbareiro@xxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] BSD domU with HVM
From: Martin Goldstone <m.j.goldstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:09:27 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:07:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

As it's going to be a HVM domain, the procedure is going to be the
pretty much the same as any other HVM domain, regardless of the OS.

The easiest way is to use virt-manager.  If you can't/don't want to use
this, then start with one of the examples (ie xmexample.hvm) which you
should have in your /etc/xen directory (assuming they're included in the
debian package).  Just point the entries on the disk line to the right
places (If your using a real cdrom, then it'll be something like
phy:/dev/cdrom, if its an iso then its file:/path/to/image.iso, and
similarly for the hard disk images phy: for physical devices, lvm etc.
and file: for file based hard disk images.

There are a number of ways to create the hard disk image, but I usually
use "dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/diskimage bs=1k
count=whatever-size-you-want" (this essentially 'pre-allocates' the
space, if you don't want that, then use count=1 and seek=size).
Obviously if installing to a physical volume, lvm or something similar,
you won't need that.

After sorting out the disks, you'll need to specify the name, memory,
and how many VCPUs you want (probably just 1).  Have a look at the other
settings and change them as necessary. Additionally, as your using Xen
3.0.3-1, I'd be careful with the ACPI, APIC and PAE settings, as I had
problems with various combinations of settings whilst attempting to
install Win2k3 (I ended up with them all set at 0 in that version, with
just 1 VCPU.  Xen 3.1 really is much better at HVM stuff, I'd suggest
using that if you can).  That said, I've not tried installing any BSD or
Linux distro as a HVM under that version, so it might be different.

Hope this helps,

Mart