Re: [Xen-users] Kubuntu Guest on CentOS5 host

To: Paul Waldo <pwaldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Kubuntu Guest on CentOS5 host
From: Martin Goldstone <m.j.goldstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:17:49 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 07:15:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As PV guests require xen-enabled kernels, I'd suggest the best method
for you to follow would be to install Feisty either as a HVM guest or
using Qemu.  You could then download a xen enabled kernel/initrd (
either store these in dom0 somewhere or use pygrub if you want to keep
them inside the guest; I tend to prefer storing them in dom0. Don't
forget to copy the modules into the guest's file system if neccessary),
and create a new configuration to use that disk image in a PV guest with
the xen-ified kernel you downloaded (you could probably get away with
using the same kernel as you do in dom0, as long as its not only a dom0
kernel (I think the kernel in the 3.1 binary can do both dom0 and domU))

I find that virt-manager/virt-install work well for installing Fedora
and RHEL based distros, but I think it relies on having an appropriate
initrd that launches the install scripts, so if the distro in question
doesn't provide this (in a location Xen knows about), it won't work.
I've come across the same issue before, fortunately its fairly easy to
get round.

Mart