Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1.0 initrd and kernel building

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1.0 initrd and kernel building
From: amin <amin@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:31:59 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:30:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So back to the root... finally got it running with modules compiled in kernel.
built a xen from source (tgz) and make dist ... then made initrd with
mkinitrd and modules=all in the
mkinitrd.conf -> initrd.img was 14mb and set it up in the grub with
module /initrd....

on boot it loads the initrd like:

but then NO MODULES in the initrd are being loaded by the kernel, though
initrd support is in the kernel,
and the kernel states kernel panic (because no sata or raid modules are
being loaded).

Whoa, that's a big initrd. Is Linux successfully mounting the initrd itself? I remember there being something like a 4Meg limit on initrd size (by default).

Why build with modules=all?  Doesn't dep do what you want?

Didn't know which modules should be there so i took all to test...
But the thing is , when you do it like its described at the README,
it loads the initrd , but doesn't start loading the modules like sd_mod etc.

with all modules compiled in kernel it work.
why isn't stated mkinitramfs in the README ?

now have a compiled kernel and couldn't test it anymore...
anybody else had the problems or am i the only one with that ?

(reinstalled the whole machine twice, but never got a running initrd)
loads... but doesn't start modules...

Second:
Built a kernel with sata support and everything and make 2.6-xen-build
and 2.6-xen-install --->
Dom0 differs from xen on boot ...
saved a .config from the kernel , make mrproper, make dist, put .config
in kernel path, make dist again...
-> xen stated failure in kernel package and asked me to run make
mrproper...

Sounds like you ended up building a XenLinux that used a different memory mode to Xen itself. Xen builds with PAE enabled so that it can support large memory hosts (> 4gig), but you need XenLinux to support PAE too if it's going to work. I'm guessing you created this config from scratch, since the default Xen build process will match PAE-ness.

Since your config must have had PAE disabled, copying the .config back to the kernel tree will have replicated the same problem :-( Do make menuconfig / xconfig and go to Processor Type and Features. Then in the "High Memory Support" section choose 64GB. This will enable PAE. Rebuild the kernel, (and modules, and initrd) then try that. It should boot...

Yes , there could be a nice hint on that like no 64gb support stopping...
but no, make mrproper to solve that... :D

so is this called stable or what ?

It should run reasonably stably, once you get it running ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks for all the answers, now i got a fresh xen 3.1.0 ;)
Greetz,
Amin