Re: [Xen-users] Xen as virtual KVM

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen as virtual KVM
From: "Brandon Reno" <brandonreno@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:15:48 -0500
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:13:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pretty good idea, the original theory was to have the dom0 "invisible" to the end-user, but I think that this would work well enough.  Even if the virtual framebuffer doesn't support full screen, it would be possible to do this with either VNC or simple XDM/Rdesktop.
It would work 'well enough' for our purposes at this time, and if I really need high performance video, I can always do it within the dom0.

I'll keep an eye out for the expanded support for HVMs and PCI-passthrough.

On 6/26/07, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just so that you understand it: It's perfectly possible to use ALL
> versions of OS's as HVM domains, so you could just set up your Linux and
> Windows domains to use HVM all the way - the graphics may not be as
> snappy as you get on real hardware, but it's definitely usable for
> testing purposes. And the advantage here is that you don't need any
> "messing about", and you can even leave all of them running at once and
> just click on the task-bar for which one you want to run at any given
> time (or run several in parallel - you just can't see all of them if you
> don't have a HUGE display on Dom0).

In fact, you could try running a virtual machine display full screen on each
virtual desktop, then switch between them using ctrl+alt+left/right - that
way you can have a different OS on each side of a cube (and be able to zoom
out and look at all of them at once).

Cheers,
Mark

> --
> Mats
>
> > On 6/26/07, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat?  And no pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!