RE: [Xen-users] xen 3.1 - domU hangs just after "xm create"

To: "Сергей Лукашевич" <lukash33@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] xen 3.1 - domU hangs just after "xm create"
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:34:45 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:33:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I take it this is the same initrd you use for Dom0? Does it have the drivers
for DomU too?

You may want to mount the sles.disk and use "mkinitrd" to create a new ramdisk
from inside the sles.disk instead - that has uses the fstab of the sles.disk,
etc.

> cpus = "1"
>
> vcpus = 2
>
> memory = 256
>
> name = "sles"
>
> root="/dev/hda1 ro"
>
> =====8<=====================
>

> Of course, sles.disk is a reiserfs image containing unTARred
> SLES9.3 64bit OS.

I hope you don't use reiserfs on reiserfs here - as if you do and you ever need
to "fsck" the underlaying disk, then you'll get problems - reiserfs uses a
"magic word" to indicate where it starts it's filesystem, and finding another
(same) magic word in the middle of the file-system is most certainly going to
make things very confused when trying to figure out what's what.

> The domain console outputs nothing but several spaces at the
> very start and the domU hangs in a few (15-25) seconds.

"Interesting". Not sure what that could be.

> What are log files to analyze? What are 'debug' options?

I'd start with "xm dmesg". If that's not saying anything useful, look at
/var/log/xen/xend.log and .../xend-debug.log

These may also not contain anything useful - but it would be where I'd start
trying to figure out what's wrong.

> I managed to run dom0  which is behaving not so bad.
>
> Only several 'segfault's in dmesg confuse me.

Where are those segfualts from?

> I use SUN X4600 server which is of 64bits, 32gigs and 16 virtual CPUs.

I expect this to be capable of running Xen for sure.

--
Mats