Re: [Xen-users] scsi and ide on HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] scsi and ide on HVM
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 03:05:56 +0100
Cc: Dylan Martin <dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:04:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I just tried installing OpenBSD on an emulated scsi disk.  The
> installation worked fine, but it won't boot.  I changed it to an ide
> drive in the xm config file and now it works fine.
>
> Is this the expected behavior?  Does booting of a scsi hard drive just
> not work, or is there something special you have to do ti make scsi
> drivs bootable?

I seem to remember the SCSI drives were not bootable - presumably because the
bochs BIOS can only boot from IDE.  If you booted from an emulated IDE drive
but used a SCSI drive as your root FS then that would probably work - and may
give better performance.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.