RE: [Xen-users] resolution for the hvm winxp

To: "ko0nz" <yesiko0nz@xxxxxxxxx>, "Martin Goldstone" <m.j.goldstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] resolution for the hvm winxp
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:20:15 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:19:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is no resolution setting OUTSIDE of your Windows "disk". However,
I suspect if you enable "stdvga" instead of the Cirrus Logic graphics
model, it will make your Windows load a different driver, which means
that it will also reset the resolution (it may now be TOO small, but
that's most likely easier to manage).

Of course, you can also log-in "blind" and just change the resolution -
not very difficult if you use keyboard commands only and you have a
second machine that you can "replicate from" (that is, use the first
machine to figure out what the steps are, and do exactly the same steps
on the second). When I was working at a graphics card company as a
driver writer, I used to change resolution "blind" every now and again
(after half a dozen times or so, you don't even need a second machine to
"replicate" from), when the driver had "got itself in a twist" - much
faster to change resolution than to reboot in VGA mode!

> 3. now, when i do:
> - # xm create winxp.hvm
> - $ vnviewer localhost
> and hit "f8", i can't have something you've said about "vga"
> resolution.

It may be that your vncviewer is using F8 for something else??

--
Mats