Re: [Xen-users] Dumb 32 on 64 question

To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dumb 32 on 64 question
From: Tony Hoyle <tmh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:33:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:33:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dylan Martin wrote:
I'm unclear about what 32 on 64 means and how one uses it.

I have a 64 bit box running a 64 bit Xen 3.1.0 and a 64 bit dom0.

I want to install a 32 bin HVM domU.  Do I need to do anything
special?
For HVM the bitness of the host doesn't matter (I don't think Xen does 64 on 32 but 32 on 64 should be transparent).

A 32bit virtual machine looks exactly like a 32bit real machine to the OS that's running on it, so it'll use the same amount of memory - pretty much fixed by the amount you give the domU.

Tony