[Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4.1 AMD-V HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4.1 AMD-V HVM
From: "Age_M" <Age_M@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:44:33 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 02:42:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello List,

I am new to this list, but not to Xen. I successfully use Xen for 1 year now
and 2 weeks ago I decided that it's time to get new hardware, that supports HVM
guests. So far so good. Now I am a more or less happy owner of a AMD AM2 X2
3600+ X2, a GA-M61P-S3 and 4GB DDR2-800. The problem is that I don't get the
HVM guests to work:

cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep -i svm
flags: [...] svm [...]

looks like my CPU supports AMD-V, right?

xm create winxp
Using config file "/etc/xen/winxp".
Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and
enabled in your BIOS?

So, lets take a closer look at that!

xm dmesg |grep -i svm
(XEN) AMD SVM Extension is disabled in BIOS.
(XEN) AMD SVM Extension is disabled in BIOS.

Hey, what's that?? Why is it disabled?? I checked the BIOS and even with the
CTRL+F1(extended Bios-Options) I don't see anything related to "virtualization
support". Am I just stupid/blind??
Are there Mainboards on the market, that claim to be AM2-compliant but don't
support Virtualization??

If you have any ideas what this could be, please tell me.

Greetz Age_M

PS: I installed Xen 3.0.4.1 on top of Gentoo 2007.0 in x86 not x86_64!
PPS: Linux guest working fine here!