Re: [Xen-users] XenU installs

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 05:41:58PM +0100, Andre Grove wrote:
> hello all,
> > i've been messing around with Xen, and it seems that most HOWTOs
> document installs by using prebuilt images.
> i'm rather anal about my installs though, and i want to be able to
> boot CDs (or ISO images). i've tried the following config:
> > kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen"
> memory = 128
> name = "andre_test_01"
> cpus = "1" # leave to Xen to pick
> vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
> disk = [ 'file:/xendisks/andre_test.img,sda1,w',
> 'file:/xendisks/andre_test_swap.img,sda2,w',
> 'file:/xendisks/install-isoS/install.iso,hdc,r' ]
> ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.16.33-xen"
> boot = "d"
> > the boot = d is apparently used to boot the cdrom, but it doesn't work
> for me. i've tried copying the vmlinuz and initrd.

CDROM's are only used in fully-virt guests - your config here is a paravirt
guest so there's no boot option available. Paravirt guests can only boot
off a kernel/initrd (or via a bootloader like pygrub). Fullyvirt guests
have a real BIOS so boot from the MBR of the disk, from CDROM, Floppy
or PXE from the network.

A common way around this is to use qemu to do the install, and then Xen to actually run the domU. You probably want to get the qemu accelerator, or run it on a *really* fast machine. It can be annoyingly slow otherwise (especially if you have to do as I've done and run it through VNC across the 'net).

Paul