[Xen-users] Mouse problem update...is it now a VNC problem?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Mouse problem update...is it now a VNC problem?
From: "Just Anidiot" <jistanidiot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:26:47 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:25:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've tried the following...

add usb=1 and usbdevice='tablet' to the .hvm file

This did nothing other than break the mouse even worse (although it
does solve the problem if the guestOS is WinXP).

I then found something about needing to use Summagraphics.  This was
buried deep within a Xen User's Manual.  However after following the
instructions X would crash on boot saying about being improperly
configured.  I finally got this to boot by adding another InputDevice
under "ServerLayout"

However this still exhibited the bad mouse behavior.

The only other thing I could find to try was VNC.
I added vnc=1 and vncconsole=1 to the .hvm file

However this did not improve things at all.  It did start to pop up a
Console during the boot, so if I needed to play with grub, I could.
But this appeared to be the only useful effect.  The mouse on the
guest OS was still out of synch with the real mouse.

So my last attempt was to install VNC on the guest OS and VNC to it.
This seems to take care of the mouse issue. However this solution has
a couple of problems:

1) I have to find the IP address first.  This means I have to go in
through the Virtual Machine Console and run an ifconfg.  Of course
using the Virtual Machine console gives the awful mouse problem.  I've
tried looking at the "Details" through the Virtual Machine Manager,
however all I can get is the MAC address.  Is there a quick and easy
way to get the IP address of the virtual machine?

2) There's lots of stuff out there that says VNC isn't secure.  I've
seen something about port forwarding mentioned recently on this list
and on some sites about securing VNC.  So I tried
 ssh -f -C -N -L 5900:localhost:5900 IPofGuestOS
This kinda worked, but when I do vncviewer localhost all I get is the
virtual machine console that I can get by clicking on "open" in the
Virtual Machine Manager.  This is the thing that's got the horrible
mouse problem.  I tried to fiddle with the port numbers on both ends
to get the :1 vncserver or the :2 vncserver, but I seem to only be
able to get them if I vnc to the IP address.   I double checked and
can get to the other vncservers by using the ip address.

This mouse problem is making me seriously consider giving up on
running any Linux distro as a virtual machine.  Can someone point me
to a solution?  There has to be some way to make a fully virtualized
Linux distro functional under xen.