Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 4.5 and 5.0 question.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 4.5 and 5.0 question.
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:48:26 +0100
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:46:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I have a small question.
> >
> > With RHEL 5.0 and RHEL 4.5 Enterprise Server, the maximum of
> > guests you
> > can make is a total of 4. With the packages here:
> >
> > http://www.xensource.com/download/dl_31rhel5.html
> > and this one:
> > http://www.xensource.com/download/dl_31rhel4.html
> >
> > Is it posible with these packages to make more guests? I know with
> > Advanced Server editions it's always posible, but I don't
> > have the budget
> > right now to buy the licence for that ;).
>
> The commercial and supported XenExpress, XenServer and XenEnterprise
> products from XenSource has a license restricting the number of guests
> and the size of memory.
>
> The open source version of Xen is limited only be memory size
> limitations (if you have REALLY small guests, and using x86_32 version
> of Xen, there is a limit in the size of the XEN heap which gets you an
> "out of memory" at roughly 100 guests, but that can be modified if this
> is really limitng your usage - although it does require a Xen hypervisor
> recompile).
>
> The tar-balls that you've linked to above is the open-source version, so
> they are not restricted by any license restriction, just the "physical"
> limits that the system you run them on (and the Xen heap-size).

You've still got the RHEL support issue though - what will RedHat themselves
support you doing with the system if you install a 3rd party Xen setup?
I'd be surprised if they'd support > 4 RHEL guests, unless you've paid for
extra licenses.  I'm not sure exactly how their licensing terms would handle
this.

Does RHEL actually limit the number of guests you can create, or is it just
that they'll only *support* up to 4 RHEL guests?  i.e. could you maybe create
arbitrary numbers of CentOS or Ubuntu guests?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!