RE: [Xen-users] AMD or Intel?

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] AMD or Intel?
From: "Joop Boonen" <joop_boonen@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 14:50:25 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 May 2007 05:48:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Mats,

Is the IOMMU the one mentioned in this artikle?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/34434.pdf
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~117440,00.html

If so, in which processor/core will it be available?

Regards,

Joop Boonen.

See also:
http://www.xensource.com/files/xs0106_xen_iommu.pdf

What does in this artikle
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=16879 the IOMMU mean?

<quote>
?Software IOTLB ? Intel® EM64T does not support an IOMMU in hardware while
AMD64 processors do. This means that physical addresses above 4GB (32
bits) cannot reliably be the source or destination of DMA operations.
Therefore, the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Update 2 kernel "bounces" all
DMA operations to or from physical addresses above 4GB to buffers that the
kernel pre-allocated below 4GB at boot time. This is likely to result in
lower performance for IO-intensive workloads for Intel® EM64T as compared
to AMD64 processors.?
</quote>