RE: [Xen-users] MCE in Xen kernels

To: "Robert Hulme" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] MCE in Xen kernels
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 13:58:37 +0200
Cc: "Egger, Christoph" <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 May 2007 04:57:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, you can't just enable the X86_MCE on it's own, as it won't work
without further changes to the hypervisor: The hypervisor doesn't allow
writes to MSR's, which is how the Machine Check features are set up by
the kernel. There will also be no useful information from the hypervisor
apart from "fatal error: machine check".

One of my collegues, Christoph Egger in Dresden, is working on getting
MCE support into the hypervisor, but I don't think he's got anything
that will work right now - I've CC'd him, so he may be able to give more
info (but I think it's a public holiday in Germany today, so perhaps it
will not happen today).

--
Mats