Re: [Xen-users] 32bit domU in 64 bit dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 32bit domU in 64 bit dom0
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 10:37:59 +0100
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Omer Khalid <Omer.Khalid@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 10 May 2007 02:36:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> We have dual CPU Quad-Core Xeons (64 bit HVM) machine. I am wondering if
> some one else have tried to deploy 32bit domU on 64 bit. I tried with Xen
> 3.0.3 but it didn't work. I remember some one mentioning on the mailing
> list that this functionality would be there in Xen 3.0.5.

This may work for HVM domains with your current install (Linux is more likely
to work than Windows), although I'm not sure if it's officially supported.
HVM on 64-bit has (as far as I know) always supported 32-bit as well as
64-bit guests.

> I guess 3.0.5 would be out in few weeks, but it would be great if some one
> could point me to the code branch in Xen's source repository which have got
> this functionality implemented?

3.0.5 will support running 32-bit PAE PV guests on a 64-bit Xen, as well as
the usual combination of 32-bit non-PAE, 32-bit PAE and 64-bit HVM guests.
The only kind of guest it doesn't support is 32-bit non-PAE guests[*]

Cheers,
Mark

[*] I think it's a shame we don't support 32-bit non-PAE guests on 64-bit Xen.
I'm told most of the machinery should be there already.  As far as I'm aware,
only the Linux port supports PAE, although I may be behind on this
information.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!