Re: [Xen-users] Xen with VIA C3 processor

To: Simon Capstick <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen with VIA C3 processor
From: Vincent Hanquez <vincent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 16:14:44 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roberto Pereyra <pereyra.roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 10:28:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:03:51PM +0100, Simon Capstick wrote:
> You'll need to look at the processor flags from
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> There's one particular flag that you need that is only present in newer
> VIA C3 CPUs.  I forget which one (maybe CMOV ?), but a bit of googling
> will tell you.  I think there maybe some discussions in the list's archive.

It's not the only thing missing from the old VIA C3 cpus.
And the main thing missing for Xen's ability to run, is support for big
pages (PSE IIRC).

For CMOV you can workaround by compiling xen for a i586 cpu.

Not sure if newers (?) C3 got that now, but the C7 does.

Cheers,
--
Vincent Hanquez