Re: [Xen-users] xen-install on existing debian etch

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen-install on existing debian etch
From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:07:01 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 01:05:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
El Tuesday 08 May 2007 20:34:50 xensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx escribió:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to play around with XEN, but I'm rather new to this topic. Thus
> I would appreciate it very much to have your comments whether my
> approach is right or if I'm close to kill my server ;-)
>
> As far as I got it after reading around on xensource.com and in some
> external howtos (I didn't found any howto regarding etch and xen-3.0.4
> without LVM, Hardbeat or other sophisticated stuff I don't need, so plz
> point me to some useful if you know 'em), I'd go like this:
>
> Installation with aptitude:
> linux-image-2.6-xen-686
> linux-image-2.6.20-1-xen-686
> linux-image-xen-686
> linux-modules-2.6.20-1-xen-686
> xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386
> xen-tools
> xen-ioemu-3.0
> xen-utils-3.0.3-1
> xen-utils-common
>
> linux-headers-2.6-xen-686
> linux-headers-2.6.20-1-xen
> linux-headers-2.6.20-1-xen-686

Easier (with Debian Etch):

  apt-get install xen-linux-system-2.6.18-4-xen-686 bridge-utils libc6-xen

> After installing the kernel I should have a new grub stanza to boot
> right into dom0. This would be my existing system, running the new xen
> kernel. Like everytime after installing a new kernel, right?

Installing xen-linux-system-2.6.18-4-xen-686 will add the Grub xen entry. Note
that this entry include:
  xen-3.0.3-1-i386-pae.gz - The Xen core system that manages dom0 and domU's.
  vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-xen-686 - The Xen capable kernel for dom0 (and maybe domU).

> I would then start creating VMs via scripts from xen-tools. For the
> start file based VMs would do the job, partition based seems to much for
> just playing around.

LVM is easy if you create them with Debian installer. But anyway loop files is
a good way to play ;)

> Or do I miss s.th. essentially?

Remember the network setting in Xen. Am easy option is to activate a direct
bridge between peth0 (the real and phisics interface), and dom0 and domu
interfaces. For that in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp:
  (network-script network-bridge)
  (vif-script vif-bridge)

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo