RE: [Xen-users] What means "...up to 32-way SMP guest operating systems"

To: "Denny Schierz" <linuxmail@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] What means "...up to 32-way SMP guest operating systems"
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:30:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 May 2007 03:29:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can in theory have 32 VCPU's per domain, and you really only need a
single CPU to run say, 8 domains x 32 VCPUs -> 256 VCPUs. Of course,
this isn't a very efficient way to do things. There are some
circumstances where you may want to have a guest run more than 1.0 VCPU
per PCPU (note that it's a "non-integer" number, so you could run 1.3333
VCPU's per PCPU by having 4VCPU, 3PCPU), but that's special cases,
rather than the common scenario.

Having a total count of VCPU's > PCPU's is quite common however - in
server consolidation, this is exactly what you're looking for.

Finally, the number of physical CPU's Xen can handle is limited by the
bitsize of a "long", which is 32 for 32-bit builds of Xen, whilst in
theory it can be changed to 64 for a 64-bit build. And we're talking CPU
cores here, so with quad-core CPUs, you need 8 sockets to make a 32 CPU
machine. Not exactly the most common variety of motherboard/system.

--
Mats