Re: [Xen-users] Problems with attaching block device to DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems with attaching block device to DomU
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:46:24 +0100
Cc: sagnik dhar <sagnik.dhar@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:45:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am running Xen on Ubuntu. I am trying to attach a block device(usb pen
> drive) to domU. When i plug in my pen drive, it gets attached to dom0 on
> /dev/sdb1. I executed the command
> xm block-attach 3 phy:/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc ro (3 is the guest vm's id)
>
> i get the error.
> Error: Device 2080 (vbd) could not be connected.
> Device /dev/sdb1 is mounted in the privileged domain,
> and so cannot be mounted by a guest.
>
> Where am i going wrong? Is the command correct in the first place?

The pendrive has probably been automatically mounted by Ubuntu.  If you
unmount it you'll be able to export it to the guest safely...

It's probably mounted as /media/usbdisk or similar.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!