RE: [Xen-users] XP64bit in Xen 3.0.3 under OpenSUSE 10.2

To: ymed@xxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XP64bit in Xen 3.0.3 under OpenSUSE 10.2
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:40:57 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 04:39:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think so [I have a hard time remembering which version of Xen has
fixes for which version of what bitness of Windows on which processor,
as the fixes for AMD may not apply to Intel and vice versa, as well as
of course what works in one version may well get broken by a LATER
change and then corrected when someone discovers it was broken].

> I use graphical Xen VM manager in Opensuse 10.2 to create and
> start VMs. I have found a file /etc/xen/xmexample.hvm and
> parameter in it #apic=0. Should I edit it as apic=1?

For certain, APIC is supported, but you need to have "apic=1" in your
configuration. Whilst you're at it, make sure that you also have "pae=1"
and "acpi=1", as you definitely need PAE and probably won't get far
without ACPI either [although "acpi=0" MAY work].

> Should I rename xmexample.hvm to my_virtual_machine_name.hvm
> and where to copy this file?
> Should I do it before creating VM or after?

I have no idea about the Xen VM Manager - that's something you need to
ask some more SuSE specific mailing list/forum about. This also means
that the information about what to change and how to store the
configuration file may be meaningless, as the GUI version may use
differhet ways to do things...

You definitely shouldn't modify the example file. Xen's base-components
allow your configuration file to be anywhere you like. I keep mine in
"/root/configs", but that's not to say there's no better places to keep
them [I also have the naughty habit of always running as "root" rather
than my own name on my lab-machines]. You can for example keep the file
in /etc/xen/, the same as xmexample.hvm.

--
Mats