Re: [Xen-users] Managing DomU partitions in XEN+LVM systems?

To: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Managing DomU partitions in XEN+LVM systems?
From: "Jordi Segues" <jordisd.mailing@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:51:40 +0200
Cc: xen ml <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 04:51:19 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=sv0/mUlncrLagurvCPdzeeLbcCX3vOHGXUwZjYuxkcgQU96oe1rHrbhQzgTqfLFHEoXV75h8/XezFTzwf2SAV2p8ERKM6OYkm2rricxKJmGhEESZTXx/7G/9mbpu1JxJaSyXwq1le/VlA5Mtbah+rqqj1EugsRjjWZDlKKfBEQs=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Thanks for your answers.
It's exact, when you recreate the table the data is not lost.

There are my commands:

#You extend your LVM partition
lvextend -L +5G /dev/LVM/2003-clone

#Open cfdisk
fdisk /dev/LVM/2003-clone

        #Delete NTFS partition
        #Recreate a bigger NTFS partition
        #Put the boot flag
        #We write changes "W"
        #Quit cfdisk

#We make a ntfsresize, it will extend the old NTFS filesystem to the
new size of the LVM partition
kpartx -a /dev/LVM/2003-clone
ntfsresize /dev/mapper/2003-clonep1
kpartx -d /dev/LVM/2003-clone

#Now windows 2003 boots perfectly, without data loss and with more disk space ;)

On 4/20/07, Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/19/07, Jordi Segues <jordisd.mailing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> but for me the problem is that fdisk can't enlarge a partition! It
> says you must delete it and then recreate it, but if I do this I lose
> all my 2003 system.

When I did it, I just used fdisk to delete the partition, and then to
re-create a new one of the larger size.  The new one must start at the
exact same cylinder as the old one did, but can have more cylinders.  It's a
little scary because of the messages about data loss, but it worked fine for
me.

To the best of my knowledge, fdisk doesn't touch any other part of the disk
other than the partition table, so provided the new partition is larger than
the old, and begins at the same position as the old, everything works fine.

One precaution I took -- and I recommend you do the same.  I first backed up
the entire logical volume, by creating another one of the same size and
using dd to copy the content.  That way, if did anything stupid and broke my
windows filesystem, I'd have been able to recreate it.

Derek.