Re: [Xen-users] network settings

To: Marco Mandl <marco.mandl@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] network settings
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:48:35 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:47:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 00:36 +0200, Marco Mandl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Despite of reading a lot of descriptions I don't understand the network
> configuration. I simply have too little experience.
>
> I work remote with the machine via ssh. My dom0 is running.
>
> I copied an existing installation into a LV and created the following file:
> # cat /etc/xen/domu-sarge
> #  -*- mode: python; -*-
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-xen-686"
> #kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-3-686-smp"
> memory = 128
> name = "domu-sarge"
> vif = [' bridge=xen-br0' ]

You may want to put a static mac= directive here, but that shouldn't
prevent it from working.

> disk = ['phy:/dev/system/sarge,hdb1,w','phy:/dev/system/sarge-swap,hdb2,w']
> ip="192.168.0.10"
> netmask="255.255.255.0"
> gateway="192.168.0.1"
> hostname = "server1"
> root = "/dev/hdb1 ro"
> extra = "4"

Rest Looks good. I usually don't specify ip/netmask/gateway in the
config, I just do it in the dom-u.

> The domU interfaces looks like that:
> # cat /mnt/sarge/etc/network/interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

You don't want to make a bridge xen-br0 inside of the guest, this should
just be eth0.

> auto xen-br0
> iface xen-br0 inet static
> name Ethernet LAN card
> address 192.168.0.10
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> broadcast 192.168.0.255
> network 192.168.0.0
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> If that is correct how do I have to configure the dom0 interfaces?

Just change xen-br0 to eth0 inside of the dom-u.

It goes :

[ internet ] -> -> [ xen-br0 ] -> -> [ eth0-in-domU ]

> I think I have to create the bridge interface. But I don't know how
> exactly. I am worried that if I make a mistake here I will loose my ssh
> connection.
>
> Please help me with this critical step.

You should be fine, provided xen-br0 was setup correctly on dom-0. Do
this via ifconfig xen-br0 on dom-0 and ensure it shows the right IP /
etc.

> Regards,
> Marco

Best,