Re: [Xen-users] Is Xen only in guests slow (tls.disabled)

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is Xen only in guests slow (tls.disabled)
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:07:02 +0100
Cc: Steve Kemp <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marco Balmer <maba-mailings-xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:04:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I don't know if it's an issue for 32-bit PAE guests running on a 64-bit
> > hypervisor, which will be allowed by 3.0.5...
>
> PAE guests on 64-bit hypervisor will not have this issue.

Thanks for clearing that up Keir, I suspected that would be the case.

I've not looked at the 32-on-64 code at all, but I've been assuming it would
do something scary like protecting Xen by placing it outside the 32-bit
address space (with side benefit that system calls in the guests have less
context switching overhead relative to 64-on-64).  And that neatly fixes the
wrap-around segmentation problem too.

So I guess that would mean that 64-bit chips are well suited for running
32-bit domains...  and 32-bit domains are ideally suited to running on 64-bit
Xen.  Crazy, but cool :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.