RE: [Xen-users] Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U
From: "Nicolai Lang" <nicolai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 00:17:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 02:04:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Mats,

Once again I thank you for your replies, it is very nice with a group of
experts to lean upon :)

> There is little difference between running 32 and 64-bit
> (most of it is marginally to the advantage of 64-bit, but
> unless you really need huge amounts of memory, I'd say you
> wouldn't be able to tell any difference other than by
> specific benchmarks).

I must say, I consider reinstalling using 32-bit, for compatibility. I just
thought that you needed amd64 binaries of everything to get full benefit of
the features like HVM and dual core.

So if the difference is neglible then it would better to run it as 32-bit
and be able to move guests between my machines.

> /proc/cpuinfo should contain "svm" (but not "vmx", as that's
> the Intel name for their corresponding technology). ["svm" is
> in your cpuinfo.txt].

Thanks. I was afraid that the store had sold me the wrong model. The VMX
flag was something I found in a different thread somewhere, it did not
mention that it was called something different by AMD.

I hope I will be able to pay back some work to the community once I am
experienced with Xen. Thank you so far for all your help.

Best regards
Nicolai