Re: [Xen-users] Error booting an opensuse iso image

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error booting an opensuse iso image
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:44:04 +0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 02:44:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pompon2 wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I try to install opensuse 10.2 in a VM over Xen 3.0.4. My method is to
> declare a cdrom disk as hdb pointing to an iso image and boot the VM
> which launch the cdrom programm.
> However, with opensuse, the VM freeze just after having boot on the
> virtual cdrom. Last message is :
>
> ISOLINUX 3.31 0x45688c0e  Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
>
> Then the virtual CPU goes to 100% use. and nothing more.

I believe this has been covered several times on this list. Short
answer, you can't. Not if you use Intel.

Long answer, you need a boot method that doesn't display menu or
graphics during kernel selection. I did it by creating a bootable USB
disk with syslinux and putting install kernel and initrd there. You can
then tell it to look for installation media from CD.

There are other ways to install OpenSuse though. You could clone your
existing system with dd. It should work.
Or you could install with with QEMU (that way you'd be using QEMU's CPU
emulation, not Intel's VT), and use the resulting disk image in Xen later.

Regards,

Fajar