Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Fedora-xen] some initial trouble

To: Steve Brueckner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Fedora-xen] some initial trouble
From: Michael Weiner <hunter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:19:57 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:19:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 3/19/07 7:56 PM, "Steve Brueckner" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Michael Weiner wrote:
>> Steve -
>>
>> sorry to bother you again, but i needed a sanity check if you wouldnt
>> mind.
>> Here is my fc6 disk layout:
>>
>> [root@monica debian]# df
>> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>>                       36693560  11307464  23492108  33% /
>> /dev/hda1               101086     17731     78136  19% /boot
>> tmpfs                   237660         0    237660   0% /dev/shm
>>
>> and my debian config points to sda1 and sda2 for root and swap, is
>> that correct that way? The disk and device pointing at what the vm
>> sees?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Michael
>
> Your df output looks typical; I think it's the default for an FC
> installation.
> I don't understand your statement about your domU config, so I'll show you a
> couple of mine.  Keep in mind these are for Xen 3.0.2-3 which I think is a
> little dated.
>
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen"
> memory = 512
> name = "webserver"
> vif = [ '' ]
> dhcp = 'dhcp'
> disk = ['phy:/dev/VG_vms/webserver,sda1,w',
>         'phy:/dev/VG_vms/swap3,sda2,w']
> root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
>
> In this case, both the main filesystem and swap for the domU are LVMs, and I
> tell the domU to treat the LVMs as sda1 and sda2 internally.  Note I also
> mount the domU main filesystem (sda1) read only so it can pass integrity
> checks
> while booting; FC will then remount it rw.
>

> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen"
> memory = 512
> name = 'webserver'
> vif = [ '' ]
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VG_vms/webserver,hda1,w',
>
> 'file://opt/mln/projects/root/control_network/images/swap_webserver,hda2,w'
> ]
> root = '/dev/hda1'
> extra = 'ro 2'
>
> In this case, the main file system for the domU is an LVM, but it's swap is
> file on the dom0 system.  This time I tell the domU to treat the LVM and the
> file
> as hda1 and hda2 internally.  Note again I mount read only and boot into
> runlevel 2,
> but using a slightly different syntax.
>
> Sorry but I'm really only a casual user of Xen and barely get by myself.  If
> I'm
> not helpful hopefully someone more knowledgeable can step in.

Steve -
I appreciate the assist, i really do. Your configs make sense as i
understand them. In my case i am trying to utilize pre-built images as vm's
for some experimental purposes. So i have a swap and a filesystem in
/xen/debian i am trying to use with the configuration as follows:

kernel="/boot/vmlinux-2.6.19.1-2911.fc6xen"
ramdisk="/boot/initrd-2.6.19.1-2911.fc6xen"
memory = 128
name = "debian.3-1"
vif = ['']
dhcp = "dhcp"
disk =
[file:/xen/debian/debian.3-1.img,sda1,w','file:/xen/debian/debian.swap,sda2,
w']
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

and recieve the following during start up in the console
<..>
Freeing unused kernel memory: 180k freed
Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 387k
Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.0.2 starting
Mounting proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs filesystem
Creating /dev
Creating initial device nodes
Setting up hotplug.
Creating block device nodes.
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.10.0-ioctl (2006-09-14) initialised:
dm-devel@xxxxxxxxxx
Making device-mapper control node
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  No volume groups found
Activating logical volumes
  Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys

Thats why i was asking about the file and disk lines.
Michael