Re: [Xen-users] in domU eth0 is now eth3?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] in domU eth0 is now eth3?
From: Goetz Bock <bock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:25:30 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:24:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 14 '07 at 16:15, Rune Elvemo wrote:
> We had a little strange experience here. We had to copy something to our
> xen image. It was done while the domU was down, mounting using the
> loopback device.
> After we had finished the job, unmounted, and restarted the domU, we had
> no eth0. Got an error message in the bootup. I thought something had
> gone really wrong, and that we no more had network access in this
> particular domU.
You don't mention what distribution you're using for the domU.

Debian Etch (4.0) has the unfortunate habbit of remembering what MAC
address an ethernet card had. So on the normal Xen 3.0.3 (as shipping
with etch) setup, where you get a new MAC on every boot, you start with
an eth0 but after 4 reboots have only an eth4 ...
(the MACs are recorded in /etc/udev/rules.d/z25-persistent-net (path
from memory)
--
/"\ Goetz Bock at blacknet dot de  --  secure mobile Linux everNETting
\ /       (c) 2006 Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 de