Re: [Xen-users] Dynamically assign Hardware Resources

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dynamically assign Hardware Resources
From: Dominik Klein <dk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:36:38 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:35:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For the memory assignment, there already are two different parameters,
maxmem and memory, so it shouldn't be too difficult to set maxmem to a
larger amount than memory. I guess it would need implementing a new
variable in the config file, but that's probably not really difficult.

Okay. Thank you.

Adding a "max vcpu" value would most likely require a little bit more
work, as you'd have to allocate the extra VCPU's up-front in the domain
creation, and just not set them to runnable.
So what I'm thinking about is writing a startup script in order to do this if nothing like that is available yet. Another thing I want to integrate is to set sched-credit weight and cap at boot time.

It would be even nicer to have this in xm, but unfortunately, I am not a C-programmer myself.

xm is written in python, so you don't need to know C (but I guess if you
don't know Python, that's not really a help).

True :(

However, some of the work described above would require changing the
libxc and perhaps even the core of the hypervisor to allow the
functionality to be implemented.

So I just started writing the (shell)script. I will post it here when I think it's usable.

Regards
Dominik