RE: [Xen-users] Xen Not Support multi-cpu??

To: "Peter Fastré" <peter.fastre@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen Not Support multi-cpu??
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:16:13 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 04:15:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you want to make your own life easy, just compile one kernel for Dom0 and
DomU with SMP enabled (which is default).

But if you want to eek out the last couple of percent performance out of the
kernel (assuming your apps spend a fair bit in the kernel), you may want to get
rid of SMP for kernels that you don't run more than one VCPU on. Note that
there should be little difference between running SMP kernel or non-SMP kernel
on a single (V)CPU, as the locks and such will never be contended, nor will
there be cache-flushes for the locks. But of course, there are extra
instructions to achieve locks in SMP, which will take some extra time from the
execution. [And some locks will still be needed, as you still have the
possibility of multiple threads running on the same CPU interacting with each
other].

Note that the number of VCPU's in a 8 core system is not limited to 8. You can
have 8 VCPU's for every domain should you wish to (and have a hundred domains
-> 800 VCPU's). It's just that they can't all run at once, of course!

--
Mats