Re: [Xen-users] Re: Mounting domU filesystem on Dom0. (xm mount)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Mounting domU filesystem on Dom0. (xm mount)
From: Siim Vahtre <siim_@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:23:40 +0200 (EET)
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 05:20:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
LVMs are not the solution. You need the domU kernel's help to do anything without completely ruining the filesystem. Currently, I think the best way would be customize a simple nfsd for this purpose.

Remember that if you backup directly from filesystem (or from NFS export or whatever), the filesystem contents can change even while you're backing up! That doesn't happen with LVM.

To get "really" consistent backup, the backup software must cooperate with the application, which can be quite complicated. But if the application is written well, it should be able to handle poweroffs, at least as far as not completely destroying your data.

LVM is far from perfect, but I wouldn't say it is "terrible terrible" for your task.