[Xen-users] Strange Networking Issue

To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Strange Networking Issue
From: Jonathon Jones <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 04:00:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:00:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm having a strange networking issue I am hoping somebody can help me solve. My provider assigned me 9 addresses and 8 of them are on a different subnet from the other IP and the gateway. Here's how it looks:

Gateway: xxx.xxx.153.177
dom0: xxx.xxx.153.178 (on eth1, eth0 is assigned a 10.x.x.x IP. This is how my provider set it up)

dom1: xxx.xxx.154.240 (domU primary IP)
          xxx.xxx.154.241
          xxx.xxx.154.242

dom2: xxx.xxx.154.244 (domU primary IP)
          xxx.xxx.154.245
          xxx.xxx.154.246

In dom1 ip addr list shows the following snippet:
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
   link/ether 00:16:3e:6b:a0:ef brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
   inet xxx.xxx.154.240/22 brd xxx.xxx.155.255 scope global eth0
   inet xxx.xxx.154.241/32 scope global eth0
   inet xxx.xxx.154.242/32 scope global eth0
   inet6 fe80::216:3eff:fe6b:a0ef/64 scope link
      valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

also in dom1, ifcfg-eth0 looks like this:

TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=xxx.xxx.154.240
NETMASK=255.255.252.0
GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.153.177

.240 is pingable.
.241 was not pingable but somehow i was able to get it pingable and don't know how. (I changed /32 to /30 and it started working and then now I can change it up however I want and there is no effect, it remains pingable)
.242 is not pingable.

By pingable/not pingable I am talking about machines in the outside world and the dom0. dom2 can actually ping any IP from dom1 and visa versa. This leads me to believe that there is a subnet configuration issue so only machines on the same subnet can ping the IP's but I can't explain how .241 is pingable everywhere. I've tried removing .242 and readding it with /30 or with /22, etc but without success.

dom2 has the same issue except that only .244 is pingable while the others are not.

I am completely at a loss in this situation and have spent hours trying to get this working. If any more information is needed, please let me know. I am hoping that my lack of sleep is making me overlook something simple that one of you will see.

Thanks in advance,

Jon