Re: [Xen-users] Drivers needed in both dom0 and domU?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Drivers needed in both dom0 and domU?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:52:33 +0000
Cc: Gregory Gee <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 04:51:52 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   If I had to compile special ethernet and SATA drivers in the dom0,
> does the domU need the same drivers?

Nope, you're fine, domain 0 abstracts the real devices into virtual devices
for sharing with the domUs.

If it's a PV domU then it'll get disk / net access via the standard Xen-aware
frontend drivers (also the case for HVM guests with PV drivers installed).
FV domUs will just see the emulated devices ("common denominator" disk and
network devices) and talk to those.

The only reason a domain other than dom0 would need special drivers for your
hardware is if you were assigning exclusive direct ownership of the PCI
device to that domain; most users don't want to do this.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!