Re: [Xen-users] Remote access to domU console using vnc

To: "Kraska, Joe A \(US SSA\)" <joe.kraska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Remote access to domU console using vnc
From: James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 00:56:41 +0000
Cc: Mike Wright <xktnniuymlla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:55:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kraska, Joe A (US SSA) wrote:
>> Once I have the domU installed, is there no way to configure xen to
>> allow remote vnc sessions to the domU console directly (the domU
>> won't be running X on it's virtual console, so I don't think running
>> a vnc server inside domU is an option).
>
> The above confused me, I'll say!

Sorry.  Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well.

> So, if you're not running X, what's the use of a vnc session anyway?

The machine running Xen is not running X in dom0, nor in domU.  I am
running vncviewer on my desktop machine and wanted to connect to domU
to install an OS using that connection.

> Just ssh directly to the domU.

Not before I've installed an OS, though.  That's what I was trying to
do before my ssh forwarding trick that I posted about earlier today.

> Or attach to its serial console with "xm console <domid>"

I tried that, but nothing happened.  I've read that it doesn't work
with fully virtualized installations, but if that isn't true then
presumably I have something wrong with my config.  I just don't know
what :(

Unfortunately I don't have another machine capable of running fully-
virtual VMs, so I can't try it out locally.

Now the domU is installed and running, I *can* connect remotely from
my desktop box to <dom0>:5900 and get the domU console, so the reason
I couldn't connect after I'd created domU looks like something to
do with the installation process, but I'm guessing.  I'm tempted to go
back and do another install whilst attempting to connect from my vnc on
my desktop just because I'm not sure I believe what was happening.

James