RE: [Xen-users] Xen and Kernel 2.6.20

To: "Mathew Brown" <mathewbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen and Kernel 2.6.20
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:45:58 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 03:45:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm writing this based on what I've figured out from reading the
makefile and previous posts on this forum, rather than from actually
trying it myself:

You can PROBABLY use the existing 2.6.16 or 2.6.18 patches (2.6.18 is
closer, but that's the patches for Xen Unstable - a bit more of a
challenge is to grab xen-unstable when it's not too unstable!)

So, choose either Xen-3.0.4-1 sources or Xen-unstable sources from the
XenSource web-site (or use mercurial (hg) to fetch sources from
XenSource mercurial archive).

Unpack the sources onto your machine.

You need to set LINUX_VER=2.6.20 in .../buildconfigs/mk.linux.2.6-xen

Do "make world && make install". If all works well, you then need to
build a initrd and put the boot-config into your grub.conf - there
should be plenty of examples on how to do that.

If you're really lucky, that will work straight away.

If not, then you have choices to make:
1. Wait for Xen to catch up to 2.6.20 (or become part of the kernel
distro)
2. Try to figure out what's not working and how to fix it.
3. Hope that someone else can solve your problems...
4. Give up on Xen and do something else...

--
Mats