[Xen-users] Re: Problem with automatic VM (domU) creation

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 03:17:04PM +0000, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 08:52:15PM +0530, Ligesh wrote:
>
> >   For linux, the easier way is to mount the domU and create
> > the network configuration files from the dom0 at every boot time.
>
>  I think we probably view "easier" in a different way.

 :-) To me 'easy' is something that might be hard to setup initially, but will
not have any run time issues. DHCP is actually the generic solution, but it
still needs the network to function properly to work. With mount and hard
network setup, you have 100% guarantee the network is setup, whatever else
might fail.

[quote]

>   Really though I don't think it is xen's job to setup the hostname
>  of managed instances and there isn't a really portable way of doing
>  it when you consider Windows, etc.

[/quote]

 Not Xen the hypervisor's. It _can't_, actually. But it is the duty of any good
management tool (xen, the platform). DHCP is a good idea, and considering that
you can't still mount ntfs partitions in linux, DHCP is the only way to go for
windows guests.

[quote]

>   Personally I'd setup static details at creation time and not worry
>  about it - but if you did want to be slightly dynamic then using
>  DHCP is probably a more standard approach with less updates to make
>  for different distributions than poking the filesystem.
>  (i.e. /etc/network/interfaces on Debian, vs. /etc/conf.d/ on Gentoo,
>   vs. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ on RedHat.)
[/quote]

  Actually I am doing network management of linux guests this way. But for
windows I need DHCP, and I couldn't find a way to assign multiple ipaddresses
to the same ethernet card using DHCP. Is this actually possible? A net search
and cursory read through the manual (searched for 'multiple'), didn't yield any
results. On redhat I think it may not be possible at all, since redhat very
specifically says that eth0:0 will not support dhcp, but I don't know about
windows. You have any idea whether windows will configure itself with multiple
ipaddresses (for the same ethernet) via dhcp?

  Thanks.