[Xen-users] Xen domU's and iscsi initaitor problems.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen domU's and iscsi initaitor problems.
From: "Ryan Kish" <rpkish@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:49:39 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:49:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, I have been using Xen now for several months and have been
quite successful until attempting to utilize iscsi within my domU's.
My research has turned up many posts of people using iscsi with no
problems, and I have found no others with the problem I seem to be
experiencing. If this has been covered on this list in the past,
please accept my humble apologies.

Configuration:
Currently, I have two Xen hypervisors. Both are AMD64 based machines,
one running Ubuntu LTS, the other running Ubuntu Edgy. Both machines
are running Xen compiled from source. A third machine is acting as an
ISCSI target using IET. IET is presenting a 10GB LUN to the domU's. I
have two separate domU's. One with core-iscsi, another with
open-iscsi.

Problem:
Both initiators exhibit a common symptom. When I am any running I/O
over the channel the domU will stop responding and present an error on
the console:

BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

This doesn't seem to have any predictable pattern. It may occur when
running a mkfs, during a mount, or after writing  data (dd
id=/dev/zero of=/mnt/zero). I have had lockups after a couple of megs,
and at times have successfully written 500M. I am hoping its one of
two things - a very poor configuration on my part, or possibly
something I need to tweak in the xen kernel. Below are my
configurations, any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ryan

(note: most of my configuration is based on the iscsi-xen howto at
http://www.performancemagic.com/iscsi-xen-howto/iSCSI.html)

IET - ietd.conf:
Target iqn.iscsi-target.bogus.com:storage.kolab_ocfs
       Lun 5 Path=/dev/mapper/vg00-kolab_ocfs2lv,Type=fileio
       MaxConnections=2

core-iscsi - initiator:
CHANNEL="1 1 eth0 192.168.1.10 3260 0"

open-iscsi - /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf:
node.active_cnx = 1
node.startup = manual
node.session.auth.username = jim
node.session.auth.password = othersecret
node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout = 120
node.session.err_timeo.abort_timeout = 10
node.session.err_timeo.reset_timeout = 30
node.session.iscsi.InitialR2T = No
node.session.iscsi.ImmediateData = Yes
node.session.iscsi.FirstBurstLength = 262144
node.session.iscsi.MaxBurstLength = 16776192
node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Wait = 0
node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Retain = 0
node.session.iscsi.MaxConnections = 1
node.conn[0].iscsi.HeaderDigest = None
node.conn[0].iscsi.DataDigest = None
node.conn[0].iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength = 65536
discovery.sendtargets.auth.username = joe
discovery.sendtargets.auth.password = secret