RE: [Xen-users] handling mac addresses and guid's

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 08:44 -0800, Kraska, Joe A (US SSA) wrote:
> Xen's allocated OUI "prefix" is 00:16:3e

Noted.

> There are probably lots of prefixes that will work insofar as you can be
> sure that you know your LAN.

I've never had any not work, but its good form and practice to either
clone the manufacturer prefix of the ported ethernet device, or use
Xen's.

> Myself, I'd recommend keeping a master table somewhere and incrementally
> choosing from MAC addresses for the last tuple, particularly if the
> deployment is large. One might mutate this code a little to do that
> rather than pick a random number.

Most web based DHCP 'helpers' will do this for you, however the original
poster noted he liked the random-ness of how Xen does it, just need to
know what the random mac will be prior to the dom-u getting it so that
it can be saved and applied to the guest again. Looks like he just wants
to avoid ARP lag upstream every time a guest is rebooted and gets a new
mac.

Its been years since I looked at Webmin, but I think they had the
foundations of a nice DHCP control system when I last saw it. I can only
imagine that since that time its progressed to something rather useful,
worth checking out anyway.

A central table is the best way to go, and I should also note you should
at least keep a list of macs in use if going random so that (however
unlikely) the same mac is not put in use twice. This really doesn't
effect much unless using something like AoE, but still good to follow
proper form.

> Joe.

Best,
--Tim