[Xen-users] openSUSE in domU on a CentOS dom0

To: "Xen list" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] openSUSE in domU on a CentOS dom0
From: "Rakhesh Sasidharan" <rakheshster@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:37:14 +0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:36:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

I am new to Xen. Just began trying it out from day-before.

I have a CentOS 4.4 install on my hda6 partition. And I have a
openSUSE 10.2 install on my hda8 partition.

For openSUSE 10.2, I chose the Xen options while installing, and so I
have the xen kernels too installed. For CentOS 4.4, I downloaded the
Xen 3.0.2 source and compiled from there. (I followed the instructions
at this site "http://mark.foster.cc/wiki/index.php/Xen_on_CentOS-4";
for CentOS).

CentOS and Xen boot well. No issues. I've copied the openSUSE xen
kernel and initrd to "/boot/xen" on my CentOS partition.

Here's the relevant enties from "/etc/xen/opensuse":

---
kernel = "/boot/xen/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/xen/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-xen"
memory = 256
name = "brahma"
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/hda8,/dev/hda8,w' ]
vcpus = 1
vif = [ '' ]
root = "/dev/hda8 ro"
extra = "3"
---

Everything else is as default.

After that I do:

# xm create -c opensuse
Using config file "/etc/xen/opensuse".
Started domain brahma
# xm console brahma
Error: the domain 'brahma' does not exist.
# xm list
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                           0      128     1 r-----   107.8

As you can see, the domain brahma starts up but is nowhere to be seen.
I get no error messages or any other sort of output.

I checked xend.log, there's a lot of stuff in there it didn't make too
much sense to me. I do see a lot of waiting lines though, and some
mention of hotplug and stuff -- so I guess it must be something to do
with openSUSE not seeing some devices. Not sure ...

If anyone could you have a look at this log file and throw more light,
it would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Rakhesh