Re: [Xen-users] No /dev/net/tun in domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] No /dev/net/tun in domU
From: Morten Christensen <mc-xen@xxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:50:55 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:55:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Javier Guerra wrote:
On Sunday 11 February 2007, Morten Christensen wrote:
I have a dom0 with Debian Etch, created with Xen-tools, that I  want to
use as a OpenVPN-server.

dom0? or is it domU?
domU

The domU does not have a directory /dev/net and if I create it, it is
away after the next reboot.

on most distros these days, /dev is usually a tmpfs filesystem; non-persistant. all device files are created by udev

Can I get a staying  /dev/net/tun in the domU ?

i have this on /etc/udev/rules.d/20-names.rules:

KERNEL=="tun",                                NAME="net/%k",MODE=0666

if everything is in place, /dev/net/tun should be created as soon as you load the tun module.
I did not find any /etc/udev/ in the debian 4-domU. Now I have put 2 lines in top of /etc/init.d/openvpn
mkdir /dev/net
mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
and that gets the openvpn-deamon up on reboot.

Now I can make a openvpn-tunnel to the vpn-server in domU, but not reach any other machines on the lan. I think, I have enabled ipforward, but it reacts like that is not working.

--
Morten Christensen