Re: [Xen-users] RE: Fully virtualized guest boot problem

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: Fully virtualized guest boot problem
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:57:25 +0000
Cc: anant <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:10:06 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's not true for Fedora / RHEL at least - we always try to sync up
on official Xen releases - for FC6 / RHEL-5 we're on Xen 3.0.3 and for
F7 we're on 3.0.4. There are a number of bug fixes we backport to the
official releases for important problems, but we try to minimise the
patches carried because of the support burden this entails.

Syncing with official Xen releases isn't really a problem - one just picks
the most recent release just before the distro feature freeze. The biggest
problem by an *order of magnitude* is that official Xen releases are based
obsolete upstream kernel trees.  So there is huge work involved in forward
porting Xen kernel patches to a up2date LKML kernel tree :-(  Updating
xen-unstable.hg to 2.6.18 was a small step forward, but that will still
leave Xen 3.0.5 trailing LKML by at least 2 releases, so doesn't really
help reduce workload for the distributors *all* of whom are shipping
forward ports of Xen rather than the outdated official trees.

Dan.