RE: [Xen-users] XenExpress question

To: "Alan Murrell" <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XenExpress question
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:15:13 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:15:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The 4GB limit is based on the build of Xen that is supplied - it doesn't
support PAE, so the maximum amount of memory is 4GB (minus a bit for
PCI-space, in fact).

The four VM is a completley artificial limit which has nothing to do
with the physical machines capability - it's just a way to make sure
that anyone doing big VM setups has to buy the real product - just like
when they give away samples of toothpaste in the supermarket, it's a
tiny little tube, but when you pay for it, you get a decent size one
that lasts more than two days... ;-)

XenExpress is intended for "trying Xen out", not for real big production
systems.

If you use the OpenSource version of Xen (which is the same source for
the hypervisor, but doesn't have all the nice graphical tools), then you
can run as many VM's as your CPU/Memory allows (I have had 10-12 VM's on
a 1.5GB dual core Athlon64 machine - not saying that this is a "good way
to do things", but it didn't cause any problem to create those VM's).

--
Mats