RE: [Xen-users] 32bit vs 64bit memory usage question

To: "Jamie Burns" <fantasticjamieburns@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] 32bit vs 64bit memory usage question
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:40:07 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:40:52 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There's no sensible reason for Xen using twice as much memory in itself.
However, as stated elsewhere, page-table-entries are 64-bit (as they are
for PAE!), and that may account for SOME of the difference. If you
compare 32-bit PAE with your previous measurements, how does it stand?

The other difference that I see is that x86-64 has a bigger heap, but
that's only 4MB, so that wouldn't match what you're seeing.

Of course, there's a little bit extra code in the code dealing with
page-tables due to 4-level page-tables, as this is not present in other
models of Xen. But since all the CODE in Xen is about 600K [64-bit
build] ("latest" unstable), it doesn't account for the difference you're
seeing.

--
Mats