Re: [Xen-users] Solaris/ZFS Dom0

To: Kent Watsen <kent@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Solaris/ZFS Dom0
From: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:48:37 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 07:47:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 05:02:22PM -0800, Kent Watsen wrote:

> I just realized that solaris/zfs is a much better dom0 than linux/lvm
> for my server project, assuming zfs's virtual partitions can be used by
> domu's...can they?

In our current development bits you can create a zvol on dom0 then use
that for the UFS boot filesystem. Since you can't boot directly off a
ZFS filesystem from domU's point of view yet (just like Nevada), you
need UFS to boot.

> Also, I've read all the blogs on xen and solaris, but its never stated
> as to which version of xen is shipping with nevada or the current sxcr
> build (55).  In case the xen version is not current, will it be possible
> for me to replace it with my own xen-build or would I have to wait for
> the next sun-built update?

Xen isn't yet integrated into Nevada and is still under heavy
development. For dom0 you'll need to use our bits still since a number
of Xen bits won't even compile on Solaris. We're gradually trying to
merge as much as we can with upstream.

Any further questions are probably best directed to
xen-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where more relevant people are listening.

regards,
john