RE: [Xen-users] Problem running unmodified SUSE Linux guest on XEN/VT

To: "Klaus Schmidinger" <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Problem running unmodified SUSE Linux guest on XEN/VT
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:20:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:24:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> Since my server has a VT capable CPU, I would expect to be able to
> >> install and run any OS, without having to modify it.
> >> Am I doing something wrong here?
> >>
> >> Klaus
> >
> > I don't know for sure, but I would try to install in
> text-mode only. It
> > may not help, but it certainly won't hurt.
> >
> > --
> > Mats
>
> I tried that with the SUSE 8.2 installation, but the result
> was just the same.
>
> With SUSE 10.2 I don't even get that far that I could choose
> the graphics/text
> mode.
>
> In the meantime I have successfully installed Windows XP in a virtual
> machine. It booted straight out of the ISO image without any problems.
>
> What's wrong with SUSE Linux that it can't boot into a
> virtual machine?

It's hard to say - bear in mind also that I work for another chip
manufacturer, so I may be biased - there is a difference between AMD and
Intel processors: In the Intel processor, real-mode (which is what DOS
runs in, and how the system starts before the OS changes the mode of
operation on the processor) is not supported in the virtual machine.
Instead, Xen contains a bunch of code to run real-mode in virtual8086
mode (same as a DOS-box in Windows uses). However, this has some
problems with certain special instructions which aren't supposed to be
used in v8086-mode - such as control register access that is supposed to
happen only in OS-mode, which v8086 mode doesn't expect to be done. So
these instructions need to be emulated by a special piece of code to
deal with this. There are several problems with emulating these
instructions, the most important one is that when you switch back and
forth between protected mode (non-real-mode) and real-mode, you may not
be able to transfer the hidden contents of the segment registers, which
can cause interesting problems... There could of course be any number of
other difficulties... ;-)

I just tried starting the installation of SuSE 9.3 on my machine (which
does NOT have an Intel processor), and that works fine (I don't have a
SuSE 10 or SuSE 8 disk here at the moment), except the mouse doesn't
seem to work right during the installation process.

--
Mats