RE: [Xen-users] migrating 32 bit guests between 64 and 32 bit hosts - po

To: "Tomasz Chmielewski" <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] migrating 32 bit guests between 64 and 32 bit hosts - possible?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:42:06 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:42:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, the guest kernel (both DomU and Dom0) has to be "the same size",
i.e. 32, 32PAE or 64. Combining different sizes will not work (Dom0 will
not boot, and domain-builder will complain about the guest kernel).

So you need to decide if all your hosts are 32-bit or 64-bit. If you
have some hosts that can't run 64-bit, then you'll have to use 32-bit.
If you have large memory on some machines, you may want to consider PAE,
as that will give you 32-bit kernel, but also ability to access above
4GB of RAM, so you get (sort of) the best of both worlds (except that
your apps still only get about 3GB per app to work within, rather than
the "almost infinite" limit that the 64-bit address space allows for).

There is work to allow 32-bit PAE on top of 64-bit guest, but I don't
think it's quite ready for production yet - although that's not
something I work on, so I could be wrong.

--
Mats